Monday 5 March 2012

Great old British TV shows – Part VI





The Six Wives of Henry VIII – 1970.  A very good BBC produced mini-series that even managed to keep pretty true to the history.  Keith Mitchell great as the King.  Magnificent.



The Vicar of Dibley 1994- 2007– Perhaps suffers from the Christmas special being re-run so often.  Dawn French has great comedic timing.  But perhaps one of the most memorable scenes was the wedding of Hugo and Alice.  As is usual, the series went on for a few too many seasons.




Thunderbirds -1965-6  Lady Penelope and Parker were the best for me.  Lovely to think of puppets in this age of digital special effects.





To The Manor Born – 1979-81.  Penelope Keith a joy.  Another class based comedy.  Impeccable.



Waiting for God – 1990-4.  Diana Trent – great as a cantankerous old lady.  Tom Ballard superb as an eccentric old buffer.  And then there is “You’re touching me, Jane (the horrible Harvey).



Yes, Minister – 1980-84.  compulsory viewing still for bureaucrats.  The script just amazing.  Not just Sir Humphrey’s double speak but also Bernard’s one liners.

"Sometimes one is forced to consider the possibility that affairs are being conducted in a manner which, all things being considered and making all possible allowances is, not to put too fine a point on it, perhaps not entirely straightforward.” "Irregular verbs:
I have an independent mind You are an eccentric He is round the twist"
Here are the links for the other parts of the series:


Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V

8 comments:

  1. I love the Vicar of Dibley - I'm not familiar with any of the other ones listed - but I enjoy all of the British shows shown on PBS.
    Thanks for sharing
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where you can get the others where you are - we have a UK channel on Sky here which often has those sorts of programs on. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. I still marvel at the sheer imagination, creativity and attention to detail that went into Thunderbirds. It had a great sense of humour too. Parker was my fave character. Lady P was hot :-) I understand that effects guru Derik Meddings I think it was, went on to work on Star Wars..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved Thunderbirds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Lady Penelope rocked! Thanks for the comment

      Delete
  4. Hi Carole. What a useful complilation. We love British TV and will get busy on this list. This is my first visit to your blog...
    there will be more.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers