Wednesday 6 April 2016

Books You Loved: April edition




Books You loved: March had lots of interesting books.  Some reviews that caught my eye were:

The Forgetting Time by Sharon Guskin was reviewed by both Carpe Librum and Grab a Book From our Stack.  Carpe Librum said 'I can't believe this is her debut novel; wow, what a way to burst onto the scene! Her writing is polished, and I admire her for extending the ending beyond what I was expecting. I got so much more out of The Forgetting Time than I thought possible. …Awesome, amazing, I loved loved loved it!' Grab a Book said 'I thought this book was very well done.  It kept my interest throughout and had some twists I did not see coming.  Congrats to the author on a great first novel!'

Books I Think You Should Read brought us No Ordinary Life by Suzanne Redfearn. The review said 'I'd recommend this novel to anyone who likes a good story, or who is curious about how stars become "born," so to speak'

The Swans of Fifth Avenue was reviewed by Booking Mama.  She said 'I adored THE SWANS OF FIFTH AVENUE and consider Ms. Benjamin to be a must-read author! Highly recommended!'

For something different, a graphic memoir, or comic was brought over by Captivated Reader.  It is My Japanese Husband Thinks I'm Crazy! By Grace Buchele Mineta. The review said 'My Japanese Husband Thinks I'm Crazy  … is a combination comic book mixed with short essays about life in Japan as a white American woman married to Japanese man.' Intriguing
Finally, a book that would be good for all aspiring writers, Plot Fiction Like the Masters by Terry BAzes.  Guiltless Reading said ' to "read like a writer" puts things in a totally new perspective! This slim book is packed with insights from a purely writer's viewpoint and it rather messed up my head as well as gave me a newfound appreciation for what a demanding task it is to produce a readable and enjoyable story.'

To see other books that were linked in, you can hop on over to this Pinboard.

Now for the April collection.  Remember the post doesn't have to be a recent one and the book doesn't have to have been recently published or read.  The only requirement is that it is about a book that you loved.

To add to the list just pop the name of the book (and your name/blog name if you like) into the first Mr Linky box and then copy and paste the url of your post about it into the second box.

I'll be pinning your links to this Pinboard to make it easier for you to check them out at a glance.

Happy April!

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the No Ordinary Life review shoutout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one got a lot of attention when I posted it. It's a great children's book with odd characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for hosting this, Carole! I've added a link to a wonderful book I received from NYC. I think many would enjoy this book a great deal. Have a terrific week, Carole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ariel Lawhon's stunning sophomore novel, FLIGHT OF DREAMS, promises to be one of my top picks of the year. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've given you links to three books that I loved within the past month. I hope some of your readers will give them a read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Done. Both reviews were posted at Amazon instead of at the blog this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carole, just added my link. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the mention for The Forgetting Time, how wonderful that another reader enjoyed it as much as I did :-) This month I loved a classic I'd never read before: Watership Down by Richard Adams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see our book review highlighted at the top. Glad you liked it too--quite an unusual book!

      Delete
  9. I have linked up the wonderful, Mediterranean suspense The Villa in Italy by Elizabeth Edmondson, which was my favourite read in March. Thank you for hosting this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for mentioning Plot Fiction Like the Masters -- it's such a great read for readers and writers especially!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting. I've mentioned The Ballroom by Anna Hope which I thought was a really interesting story..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this debut. There is still afew hours left to enter the giveaway to win a copy too x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the shout out for my review of My Japanese Husband Thinks I'm Crazy by Grace Buchele Mineta!!

    Happy reading to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Late again with my input but I always enjoy your list.

    Happy Reading,
    Marianne from
    Let's Read

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello there, Carole,
    So sorry that I'm late myself, but I finally made my choice for Best Book of the month. The first link is to my original review, and the second one is to my review revisited! Since my best book of the month is actually a reread from five years ago for me, I added a link to my original review. :) Thank you for everything, Carole, and see you next month! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you going to be creating a May 2016 post?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers