Wednesday 1 October 2014

Books You Loved: October edition



As always Books You loved: September had lots of interesting books.  Some reviews that caught my eye were:

Alex Baugh from Randomly Reading brought us Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson.  Alex said: "When I finished reading Brown Girl Dreaming, I thought about it for a few minutes, turned to the front of the book and began reading it again.  The images that each of the poems conjure up are at times beautiful, sad, funny, poignant and at time difficult and honest, but all are beautifully rendered. "

Another unusual book was reviewed by Rhiannon Johnson of  Ivory Owl ReviewsAn Unnecessary Woman by Rahih Alameddine.  She said "This book is a wonderful microcosm of daily life and Aaliya is a lovingly relatable character."

Tracey from Carpe Librum brought us The Farm by Tom Rob Smith.  I got this one out of library on the strength of her review.  She said "The Farm is a mystery and psychological thriller, which is surprising given the content is not driven by action so much as learning the truth about what took place.  The plot is tight and the tension is palpable, and I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it. " 

Lastly a non-fiction book about journeying to the North Pole – In The Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides.  Doing Dewey's review said " My favorite narrative nonfiction this year! Well-researched and packed with details that bring this more fantastic than fiction adventure story to life."

To see other books that were linked in, you can hop on over to this Pinboard.

Now for the October collection.  Remember the post doesn't have to be a recent one and the book doesn't have to have been recently published or read.  The only requirement is that it is about a book that you loved.

To add to the list just pop the name of the book (and your name/blog name if you like) into the first Mr Linky box and then copy and paste the url of your post about it into the second box.

I'll be pinning your links to this Pinboard to make it easier for you to check them out at a glance.

Happy reading!


16 comments:

  1. Hi, Carole,
    Thanks as always for this meme. I have three entries this month. Last month was a very good reading-wise for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk was by far the very best book I have read in the past month. Funny, poignant, at times chilling in its descriptions of war, it is about an Iraqi War veteran's experiences when the government brings him home for a two-week "victory tour." Highly recommended.

    Happy reading to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon's cat fascinates me. He's a typical cat and I enjoy the humor Simon shares!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brown Girl Dreaming sounds good. The Farm sounds good too.

    Thanks for this month's post, Carole.


    My book entry is below. It was a mystery.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of Juliet Marillier's Dreamer's Pool--a new series by a beloved fantasy author. She's great for people who want to try sci-fi/fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Farm this year and really liked it! Smith did such a good job with the mother's voice. I'd like to read his Child 44 Trilogy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hostine Carole Ive read a few different books this month from a memoir, to a war time mystery, to a vegetarian dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again, Carole. Just linked two books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just posted. Thanks for waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I linked my book twice by mistake, I went back to check that the title was correct (it wasn't) and I managed to link twice. Sorry. If you can delete the "one hundred" listing that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Carole. I linked 2 books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the mention above Carole, have you had a chance to read The Farm yet? Did you enjoy it? I've read a lot of 3 star books lately, so nothing worthy enough for the list this month. Off to check out a few of the links and offerings above though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always so hard to just pick a few! Thanks for hosting such a fun link-up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read quite a few good books in Sept. I would also recommend "The House We Grew Up In," "Five Days Left," and "Paris Letters."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this link-up, Carole - it's such fun! So far, I've read so many good books this month, that I haven't been able to make my choice just yet. I'll be back a little later and leave my Book of the Month!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Carole and everyone,
    Well, in honor of Halloween - it's Friday afternoon, October 31st, over on this side of the pond - I chose The Haunted by Bentley Little. I really enjoyed this story, because it's not the typical haunted house story; the haunting was very unusual. Have a great day, Carole, and I'll see you next month! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers