Wednesday 23 May 2018

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society by Mary Anne Shaffer - worth reminding you about




This is a re-post.  The books I've been reading just haven't made the cut lately…sigh.  So I thought I would remind you about this book - The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society, a little gem.  As the title suggests the book is set in Guernsey during WWII.  The book was published in 2008.

It was written by Mary Anne Shaffer and her niece Annie Barrows who did the final edit as a result of Schaffer being extremely ill.

It is a book in letter format, which doesn't always work.  But I liked this one.  It is a quick read with a lot of humour in the darker setting of the German occupation of Guernsey. It has been made into a film but I haven't seen it so don't know if it is any good.

Be warned, if you read the book, you will want to go to Guernsey. I haven't managed it yet but hope to one day.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book! It was such a joy to read. Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this book in 2011.... In fact, I began rereading it again last week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society with my book club and totally loved it. What a shame the author died and this will be her only book. :(

    I haven't decided, yet, whethe I want to see the movie though it features some wonderful actors. We'll see.

    Anyway, if you ever should make it to Guernsey, it's not that far to my home once you're already in Europe. ;)

    See you then,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. The title alone is intriguing! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers