Sunday 20 May 2018

Pumpkin Curry (using up the Butterkin)


Carole's Chatter: Pumpkin Curry (using Butterkin leftovers)


I did a stuffed Butterkin and had lots of it left over.  Not one to throw good food out, I had to come up with something.  I decided on a curry since I felt that would balance out the sweetness of the Butterkin.

Ingredients:

Leftover pumpkin and stuffing

For the curry:
Small can coconut milk
Small amount of chopped shallot
Chopped up ginger (remains of ginger tea brew)
Turmeric, ½ tsp
Garam Marsala, small pinch
Curry Powder (Indian) ½ tsp
Ground chilli, ½ tsp or more if you like it hot
Cumin (tinsy amount)
Nutmeg, grated (not too much)
Mustard seeds
Sesame seeds

Block of frozen spinach
Soy sauce
Fish sauce

Chopped herbs
Crispy fried shallots (store bought)

Method:

Open the coconut milk and scoop out the hardish top bit – use this to fry off he spices, ginger, onion and sesame seeds.

When the mix is fragrant, or, in my case, when your patience runs out, add the leftover pumpkin and stuffing, and the spinach.

When this has heated through have a little taste and add soy sauce and fish sauce to get the desired amount of saltiness to balance the sweet pumpkin.  Add in the rest of the coconut milk

Just before serving sprinkle with chopped herbs and crispy fried shallots.

5 comments:

  1. I hate having to throw out food- great you found a way to save it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the combination of spices and flavors you've got going here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a curry and I hate to waste food, so this recipe sounds like a win, win to me! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on transforming the leftovers. (had to laugh at the "patience" comment)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have all those ingredients at home! Winner of a dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers