Sunday 17 September 2017

Beef Stew



Carole's Chatter: Beef Stew

This Beef Stew was pretty traditional and was not a canvas for my current flirtation with all things Japanese.

Ingredients:

Cross cut blade steak
Seasoned flour – salt, pepper, paprika, mace
Small amount of chopped onion
Oil
Ginger
Carrot
Potato
Worcestershire Sauce
Tomato Paste
Beef stock cube
Sherry
Parsley
[I would have added a dollop of crème fraiche just before serving but I forgot]

Method:

Cut up your steak – the cross cut is a stewing cut so needs a long slow cook.

Dredge your steak in the seasoned flour and then brown it in batches

Add your stock cube and a ½ cup or so of water, the Worcestershire Sauce, Tomato Paste and Sherry.

Cook slowly in a low oven for 1 hour then add your carrots and potatoes (cut into chunky pieces) and the ginger (grated preferably or cut up into matchsticks)

Cook away for at least another hour.  Add parsley just before serving.

Hearty and heart warming stew.

3 comments:

  1. Although I'm a vegetarian, my daughter in law makes a lot of beef stew. This is a recipe I can share with her. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Beth Fish Reads, for a cool evening there's nothing like it. Hearty and comforting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers