Wednesday 2 August 2017

Books You Loved: August





Books You Loved: July had some very interesting books – as always.  Some reviews that caught my eye were:

The Switch by Joseph Finder was reviewed by Dolce Belleza.  I have now read and enjoyed this one and agree with the review that 'This is an extremely satisfying thriller, well written and thought-provoking'.  This book is very up to date.

Audra from Unabridged Chick brought over The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.  Audra said 'Quinn's narrative style is magical; I wanted to read this book with an eye toward learning craft, but I kept getting lost in it. She manages to offer all the details one wants in a historical novel without it feeling clunky or awkward; she sketches up people in a manner that makes them clear, vibrant, and real. There isn't a wasted word, an overdrawn or rushed moment, or sloppily sketched caricature to be found. And she's funny, so funny'

The Book of Polly by Kathy Hepinstall was reviewed on Silver's Reviews .  Elizabeth said the book 'was a delightful read because of the funny circumstances and situations the characters got themselves in.   

All of the characters were comical and lovable.  You will be laughing as well as crying but mostly laughing. '

Jessica from The Bookworm Chronicles posted about First of the Tudors by Joanna Hickson.  She said 'Overall, I thought First of the Tudors was a brilliantly researched and written piece of historical fiction, that had me enthralled from the beginning to the end'   I've now got this out the library waiting to read it.

Finally, The Song of Copper Creek by Kristen McKendry was posted by Shauna of I Love to Read & Review Books.  Shauna said 'Follow along as the family of Copper Creek Farm struggle and triumph with life's trials and treasures. I highly recommend this one!'

Now on to the August collection.  Remember the posts you link in don't have to be recent and the book concerned doesn't have to have been recently published or read.  The only requirement is that it is about a book that you loved.

To add to the list just pop the name of the book (and your name/blog name if you like) into the first Mr Linky box and then copy and paste the url of your post about it into the second box.


I'll be pinning your links to this Pinboard to make it easier for you to check them out at a glance.


13 comments:

  1. Kellerman introduces a new character. She's tough and she's mean. I like her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the link up
    Jbarr5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great-looking list of books.

    The Book of Polly was very enjoyable....thanks for featuring it.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the mention Carole and I really hope you enjoy First of the Tudors as much as I did :-) This month, I have linked in naturalist Chris Packham's powerful memoir, Fingers in the Sparkle Jar and the extremely fun Pyramids by Terry Pratchett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here you go, Carole. One with no bodies but lovey ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found a couple of books from this list for my August reads. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just added The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. Right now I am reading Ghe Alice Network by Kate Quinn and it's shaping up to be a favorite. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Forgotten Garden is an all-time favorite of mine. ENJOY!!

      The Alice Network is getting so many good comments.

      Delete
  8. I've added two very different titles this month, one for adults and one for middle school readers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The third book I read by Pascal Mercier and just as brilliant as the last two.

    Thanks for sharing this with us,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a tough choice for me this month, but #80 just squeaked through by a whisker! See you next month, Carole!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers