Tuesday 13 June 2017

Sichuan Ribs reprised



Carole's Chatter: Sichuan Ribs Reprised


I used a different technique, for me that is, with these Sichuan ribs.

The first thing I did was boil the ribs in water until they were tender – 1 to 1 ½ hours.  Take them out of the water and let them cool down.  Don't throw the water out – keep it as a base for stock.

When the ribs have cooled marinade them  overnight in the fridge in a marinade mixture made of the following:

¼ cup hoisin sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice wine
3 tablesp brown sugar
2 ½ tablesp of peri peri sauce
1 ¼ tsp of five spice powder 

I didn't have any pre-prepared five spice powder so made my own by grinding together (in a mortar) equal quantities of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Sichuan pepper.  (I lie a bit about the equal quantities – because I am not a huge fan of strong aniseedy flavour I cut back a bit on the fennel seeds and star anise)

Don't use all of the marinade at once – use half of it for the overnight marinade and keep the rest for finishing off the next day with the addition of 3 tablespoons of honey and a small amount of sesame oil which you whisk in to the reserved marinade.

Paint each rib with the new sauce and then grill them on a high heat for 5 minutes each side.  Paint with the sauce again.

Serve with lots of napkins – sticky, spicy and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers