Tuesday 14 June 2016

Corned Beef Hash Cakes – Another Reprise



This was made with leftovers from a corned beef meal.  The hash cakes actually turned out better than the original meal. 

To make them I just mixed together the following things:

Corned beef cut up small
Cabbage leftovers
Mash leftovers
Half a cob of sweetcorn very lightly cooked and taken off the cob
Leftover carrots and onion cut into smallish pieces
1-2 eggs
Lemon zest (I do mine on a microplane) and juice of half a lemon
Good dollop of mustard powder – I use Hot English
Pepper
Mace (say ½ teaspoon) – completely optional
A little bit of salt

If you didn’t cook your cabbage with ginger you could add a good knob of fresh grated ginger or a much smaller amount of ground ginger – say under a teaspoon.

Mix this all up well.  Shape into cakes with wet hands.  Roll in breadcrumbs – I used brown ones but white or panko would be fine.

Because I had a huge amount of leftovers I made one lot of hash cakes for now and put one lot into the freezer for another time.

Brown the cakes in oil (I mixed canola and olive oil with a bit of butter).

Finish the cakes in the oven for about 20 minutes at 150 degrees Celsius (that’s about 300 degrees Fahrenheit)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers