Sunday 13 December 2015

Danish Meatballs (but no onion) with a cream sauce

Carole's Chatter: Danish Meatballs


I encourage you to experiment with this new way (to me) of doing meatballs.  I was quite sceptical about it but can now see that with a teensy bit of tweaking they would be fab!

These meatballs are Danish style – but not authentic since I omitted the onion.

What you'll need:

Pork mince (could use a mix of pork and chicken)
Capers
Club soda
1 beaten egg
Salt and pepper
Flour
Butter
Oil
Cream
Powdered mustard
Turmeric
Lemon zest
Chopped herbs

You mix your meat, egg, capers (roughly chopped) and salt and pepper together lightly and sprinkle in flour as you go – for approximately ½ a kilo of mince I used about 1/3 cup of flour.  Next time I'd use a bit less.

Then add your club soda (equal quantity as the flour) bit at a time.  Surprisingly enough the mix does come together just fine.  Then cover with cling film and pop into the fridge for about an hour.

Then you can form your meatballs and pop them back in the fridge again for at least an hour.  The cooling helps them hold together well.

When you are ready to cook just brown your meatballs in your oil and butter.  When brown finish the cooking in a lowish oven.

To make the sauce, just pour off any excess fat from the pan and then splosh in your cream and boil it away.  Season with your salt and pepper to taste. For a bit of zing I added mustard powder, a touch of turmeric for colour and some lemon zest.

5 comments:

  1. Club soda? Interesting. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good. Definitely not what I think of with a "meatball," but delicious nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meatball experimentation, I like it! Club soda in a mix is new to me but sounds like a great result. I was going to try Swedish meatballs coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound really tasty! Interesting with the club soda addition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday. I sure appreciate you!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers