Wednesday 14 January 2015

Flirting with French by William Alexander


Thanks to Girl with her Head in a Book I found out about Flirting with French. This book is written by a guy who is trying to become fluent in French in his 50's.  It is quite hilarious while at the same time being really true – in my experiences with trying to speak French anyway!

I recommend this book for anyone who likes France or who is trying to learn any second language.  It will give you a reason to continue your efforts – but to avoid spoilers, I won't tell you what it is.

You will also learn some other fascinating stuff along the way – like how come English avoided having all words belong to a gender?  And why we don't have the formal and informal words for you – ie vous and tu.

I found the book very enjoyable and devoured it in a couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks for the post!! Seeing the cover of this book me intrigued even before reading your review. I'll have to add this book title to my ever growing wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. English is a difficult language, but I agree, why don't we have gender words. :)

    Great to hear it was enjoyable for you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers