Wednesday 3 December 2014

Books You Loved: December/January edition



Books You loved: November had lots of interesting books.  Some reviews that caught my eye were:

Unabridged Chick brought over Texts from Jane Eyre by Mallory Ortberg. She said 'this book is so hilarious, it's coming with me to the delivery room for when I need a laugh'.  I am about to pick this one up from the library and am looking forward to reading it.

Reunion by Hannah Pittard was reviewed by Sarah's Book Shelves. She said that the book 'is a hilarious and irreverent take on marriage, stepmothers (four, in this case), half siblings (seven, in this case), strained parental relationships, the bond with siblings you grew up with, and the occasional ridiculousness of the rituals of death. I loved the combination of Pittard’s informal, straight forward writing style with the depth of the issues she covers.'

100 places in France Every Woman Should Go by Marcia deSanctis was brought over by Words and Peace.  She said 'Rich with unique advice and achingly beautiful descriptions of France in all its diversity, 100 Places In France Every Woman Should Go is honestly THE companion book you have to purchase for your next trip to France, or to help you dream before you can go.' I've ordered this one from the library – the only problem will be the resulting wanderlust, I'm sure!

Me Before You by JoJo Moyes was linked in by Suko's Notebook.  I really liked this book, too.  Suko said 'I loved this book!  I savored it, a small bit at a time.  It's a moving story, a beautiful, unconventional love story. '

Due to it being summertime here in New Zealand, this edition of Books You Loved will cover both December 14 and January 15.

Now for the new collection.  Remember the post doesn't have to be a recent one and the book doesn't have to have been recently published or read.  The only requirement is that it is about a book that you loved.

To add to the list just pop the name of the book (and your name/blog name if you like) into the first Mr Linky box and then copy and paste the url of your post about it into the second box.

I'll be pinning your links to this Pinboard to make it easier for you to check them out at a glance.

Have fun.  I hope you discover some great books to read – I always do!

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for allowing me to post my latest book on your page. I appreciate it. An Almost Perfect Christmas was reviewed by USA Today magazine and they said it's "heart-wrenching, sweet, and requires a box of tissues."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reading list is already a little out of control--but, I look forward to adding to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole,
    Thanks for this meme, as always. I entered two books this month.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carole.

    I love this post!!

    I actually added four books this time. I usually only put in one.

    Have a wonderful holiday season.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the shout out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for mentioning No Perfect Secret, romantic suspense. A top 1000 Amazon Reviewer said, "This is how books need to be written." Again, thank you for sharing with your followers. What a nice gesture.
    Best to you and yours from,
    JackieWeger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Kaplan is a kick; imagine a Jewish Miss Marple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christmas at Tiffany's is a book I normally wouldn't read, but I found myself devouring this novel. It will suck you in! Perfect for Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm linking to the two books which I most enjoyed reading during the past month - The Plantagenets by Dan Jones and The Handsome Man's De Luxe Cafe by Alexander McCall Smith. Jones' book is nonfiction, a history of the first dynasty to rule England. It's a fascinating read, a sort of Game of Thrones but with real people. The McCall Smith book is the latest in his beloved "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series and, as always, it is a very pleasant visit with Precious Ramotswe and her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carole - Thanks again for the opportunity to post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As soon as I seen 'Texts from Jane Eyre', I'm already hunting down a copy as we speak, it sounds hilarious!

    I've added The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski, the second book in the Winner's Trilogy. It's not due out until March of 2015 though. I simply love the series!

    Happy reading Carole :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this feature, Carole! Thanks also for the mention. I'd wanted to read a book by Jojo Moyes for the longest time. The book I listed this time is one I had intended to read quite a while ago. And now I'm so glad to have read it, and think others would really enjoy it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of books to add to my 2015 reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Empty Mansions by Bill Dedman, and Adventures in Stationery by James Ward but I haven't reviewed it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am betting this is going to be doubly awesome in length ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there, Carole! I'll be checking out all the newest links throughout December and January and will link up my favorites a little later in the month. See you later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not posted much in the last couple of months, I've just been sick most of the time. I hope to get back into the rhythm in the new year.

    Merry Christmas.

    Marianne from
    Let's Read

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello there Carole,
    I've chosen my Best Book of December - #61 - This was such a good book! ;) Ms. Moriarty's writing and plot development was absolutely spot on; at least in my opinion. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello again Carole,
    I've chosen my favorite book of the month for January - which was remarkably difficult, considering that I read so many great books this month! :) Anyway, my choice was #79 - the first book in a contemporary mystery series based in Fjallbacka, Sweden. Camilla Lackberg is a Swedish author, and my daughter introduced me to her as she had read and reviewed The Ice Princess as an Advanced Reader's Copy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers