Wednesday 2 July 2014

Books You Loved: July/August Edition


Books You Loved – June Edition resulted in another interesting 'library' of books. Before getting to the new collection, here are a few of the reviews that caught my eye. To check out the other books in the June Edition you could head over to this Pinboard.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes was linked in by Heather at Books and Quilts and by Michelle at Jarrah Jungle.  I read this based on their recommendation and found it a great read.  Heather said 'Thanks to author Jojo Moyes for penning such a wonderful story that kept me captivated from beginning to end.'  Michelle said 'I really enjoyed this book, it was realistic and easy to read which had me turning the pages to find out how the story was going to end, right up until the last chapter I still wasn't sure how it would finish and what would happen to Will and Lou.'

Guiltless Reading brought us Mrs Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn.  On her recommendation I am now reading it.  She said 'If you'd like a fluffy and fun read that pokes fun at, yet has a soft spot, for the Queen, read this! I recommend it to those who enjoy chick lit, and lovers of anything British.'  Everyone needs some 'fluff' now and then!

Dorothy at The Nature of Things brought The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly to the library.  I've now got it from my library but haven't read it yet.  Dorothy said 'It's easy to understand why it won several awards. It was expertly plotted and paced, designed to keep the reader turning those pages. The action never lagged, but my favorite parts were the courtroom scenes'

Carmen's Books and Movies Reviews brought along Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.  She said 'I loved Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore. I had so much fun that lost my sleep during the three nights I was reading the novel and I can effectively say that I haven’t had as much fun with a book since…ever?!'

This edition of Books You Loved is a double header.  It covers both July and August.  So don't forget to visit in August to add a book you loved too!

It's easy to add to the July/August collection. Just pop the name of the book (plus your blog name/name if you like) into the first Mr Linky box and then paste the url for your post about it into the second one. I'll be pinning the links to this Pinboard. This will make it easy for you to check out the links at a glance and choose which reviews you want to read.

Wishing everyone two months of happy reading!

20 comments:

  1. Carole,
    Thanks for featuring my site in the intro; I'm honored. I entered just one book today but sure next month will have more.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No books that I LOVED this month, but I did really enjoy Blackfin Sky by Kat Ellis so I've linked my review for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carole! I so enjoyed The Rosie Project. Actually laughed out loud. Very charming novel. Perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Me Before You and Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore as well! I read Penumbra last year and it was such a quirky, unique book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. only 30 books the past month read, bunch of proofing done for authors though. Happy summer all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linked up my review, Carol. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everybody remembers Tom Sawyer. Here's Becky Thatcher's story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks once again for the opportunity to share books we loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for hosting this wonderful feature, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the mention Carole, so glad you read Me before You :)
    This week Im linking up Reservoir Dad an autobiography by funny man and stay at home Dad to 4 young boys, great for a laugh and insight into a young Australian family

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Carole, just linked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Carole, I adored The Martian by Andy Weir, clearly the best science fiction novel I've read in 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am late too. :)

    Love this, Carole. Thanks as always.

    My book entry is below.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Entered The Blazing World today. More to come. And I think I finally got the linky thing figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's there just fine - sorry it was clunky! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haven't been on this site in a while but I'm back with more book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My July pick of the month is by Robin Oliveira's My Name is Mary Sutter: A Novel. Ms. Oliveira grew up in Loudonville, New York and graduated from the same high school that my daughter went to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I picked "How to be a Heroine" by Samantha Ellis - a joyous celebration of literary heroines throughout the decades, one of the best and most original books that I've read all year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've just chosen my pick of the month for August - A Perfect Divorce by Avery Corman. It was certainly difficult for me to choose a favorite for this month, I've read so many great books in August! :) Thanks Carole, see you next month. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers