Saturday 26 July 2014

Ashenden by Elizabeth Wilhide




Ashenden is the author's debut novel.  The author's interest in architecture and interior design is no doubt what inspired her to create this rather unusual novel.
The main character in the book is the house, Ashenden, rather than any of the people that lived there.  The book is made up of a series of short stories spanning over 2 centuries about the house and its inhabitants.  I'm sorry if that doesn't sound riveting but actually I found the book engrossing.  It gave me a sense of history that many other works do not. 
I recommend this to you if you like English manor houses and the way life was lived in them in the past.  A big thank you to Moonshine and Rosefire whose link into Books You Loved: March inspired me to read the book.

2 comments:

  1. I read this book a while ago and liked it. Apart from the descriptiveness of the life at the time, I also liked the architectural details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound kind of cool. I like architecture and the idea of "what if the walls could talk."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers