Tuesday 5 November 2013

Chicken Polpette on Orzo

Chicken Polpette on Orzo  by Carole's Chatter


I got the idea for the Chicken Polpette on Orzo off Food TV but now can't remember which programme.  It was the first time I have done any sort of meatball by cooking it in stock rather than frying/roasting them.  Not only was the result healthier, it had a lovely delicate flavour.  The Orzo, which is rice like pasta, also worked out very nicely.  A keeper.

The meatball mix was a fairly simple one:

Chicken mince
An egg
Breadcrumbs
Chopped fresh tarragon
Handful of shredded parmesan cheese
A pinch of lemon zest
Salt and pepper

Form these into small to medium sized balls – I use a small measuring cup to get a more or less equal amount of mix in each ball.

Chicken Polpette before cooking


Heat up some chicken stock and pop the meatballs in and then cover with a paper cartouche ( just a round piece of baking paper or luncheon paper).  The meatballs won't take too long to cook if you haven't made them too big – you just simmer them gently in  the stok.

When the meatballs are cooked take them out of the stock and keep them warm.  You will be using the stock for the orzo so don't throw it out.

So heat some butter in a pan, fry off about ½ a finely chopped onion and ½ a clove of garlic (finely chopped or crushed).  Add the orzo and coat it in the butter and fry it off for a couple of minutes.  Then just add in the chicken stock gradually until the orzo is cooked. (This is almost a risotto like approach)

Chicken Polpette on Orzo



When cooked add back the meatballs and take the pan off the heat.  Relying on residual heat only then add some fresh chopped herbs (I did tarragon and chives), a handful of parmesan and a knob of butter.  Taste the orzo and add salt to your liking.
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. This looks lovely! I have only ever fried or baked meatballs too, will have to give this a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. orzo is my favorite pasta and this looks really good, thank you!
    I always use orzo with lamb, but this seemed even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - that looks both easy and delicious. Going to make this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a delicious looking dish! I love the chicken meatballs and the way you cook orzo. I usually cook it like pasta in a big bowl of water. I love that you cooked it more like rice. I need to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are big orzo lovers. My son never called it orzo when he was young. He always called it "pasta shaped like rice." Cracked me up b/c it's so much easier to just say orzo! I will have to make this for him...not only is there orzo, but the meatballs are chicken. He's also into non-trad meatballs.

    Thank you for linking, Carole. I appreciate that you come by each week. I know sometimes I get overwhelmed by all the linky parties out there!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers