Tuesday 9 July 2013

Books You Loved - July Edition



We're now in the second half of the year – scary!  So it's time for the July edition of Books You Loved.

Before getting to the new link up, here are some of June's entries that caught my eye:

Relish: My Life in the KitchenMelissa said, as part of Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking, "Foodies won’t want to miss reading about Knisley’s enviable food journey. It’s impossible not to be utterly charmed by Relish, and I know I’ll happily be revisiting it in the future."
You have to look at the illustrations in this book.  Fantastic

Big Brother by Lionel ShriverBooks in the City said "This book challenges you to consider your own visceral reactions to topics such as obesity and accountability to family members."  Intriguing.

Weird Things Customers Say In Bookstores by Jen Campbell – the review on Buckling Bookshelves said "This book will cause uncontrollable laughter. Do not read in public if cracking up in front of strangers is something that embarrasses you."

Looking for me by Beth Hoffman.  Anna from Diary of an Eccentric said "Looking for Me is a beautiful novel (the best book I’ve read so far this year, in fact) about following your dreams, holding onto memories instead of things, and making peace with the past."

The Boleyn King by Laura Anderson was linked in by both Novel Reveries and Bookin'With Sunny.  It is based on the premise that Anne Boleyn had a male child. Novel Reveries said "I fell in love with the book more and more as I read on" and Sunny said "I rec­ommend The Boleyn King to readers who like to have a little fun with history, but watch out for the cliffhanger ending."

To check out all the links for the June edition, you can go over to the original post or this Pinboard.  

On to the new monthly collection!  I just love seeing what you all come up with.  Linking in is easy – just put your name and the name of the book into the first Mr Linky box and then paste the url of the post for your review into the second one and you're done.  You don't need to leave a comment unless you feel like it.

I do have a blog button you can use if you want – you'll find the code for it on my contact page.

One thing that would be great is for you to visit the Pinboard  I have made for the July edition.  I will be pinning the links to it as fast as I can – real life willing!

Happy reading to all.



Pin It

32 comments:

  1. I'm off to have a look through June's entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://jbarrett5.blogspot.com/2013/06/books-read-june-2013_30.html is my book review compilation of June. working on the July one-it's like I add a book a day if not more. going to be a slow month=it's too hot to do anything. i fall asleep reading LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some great summer reading choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mignon Eberhart wrote a lot of old classic mysteries that are still being read today. It's different style from new, but the mysteries still stand up to the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already found my next read - Close My Eyes sounds like a good one! Haven't been over here for a while but have just been reminded it's a good place to find recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Testing this weekend and it was great, I loved it. Despite the weak start it was an amazing dystopia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've entered a travel book this month, just for something different! Although I have been reading mostly sci fi in preparation for the Hugo Awards :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea--so many books, so little time, but it's fantastic to see what everyone is reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carole! Thanks for stopping by my Sweet Thing review and the invite to link up. I have added my link above. :-)

    Chelsea @ Starbucks & Books Obsession

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy to recommend two books to your readers again this month, Carole: Henning Mankell's eighth in his Swedish detective Kurt Wallander series, Firewall and the book which won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction here this year, The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson. The latter is about North Korea and it is not an easy book to read but it is ultimately rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just linked to this by a commenter over at my blog: www.beautyandthebooks.org excited to check out the books and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

    Kat
    www.katsbookbuzz.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Rosie Project was my book clubs book pick last month and it was a really great read

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for visiting my blog. I linked up my post. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for inviting me over again, Carole! :) I'll come back later on in the month and link up my choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for inviting me to leave another link here. This is such a great idea and I enjoy checking out other people's recommendations so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. THank you for the invitation, Carole- what a delightful place to while away my morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favourite book last month was definitely "Sea of Poppies" by Amitav Ghosh, followed by the second book in this series River of Smoke. And if the author had finished the third book, I would have read that straight away. I never do that but this was just so great, I had to carry on reading the story.

    Thanks for giving us all the opportunity to get to know other blogs as well as your fantastic one.

    Marianne from Let's Read

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Carole -
    Just posted a review for Susan Palwick's - Mending the Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this idea! Great having a look at them all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just pinned this!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey - just wrote in North and South - the Northern British version of Pride and Prejudice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've linked a 5 bite rating Mystery/Suspense from the month of June. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I see someone else liked THE TESTING best in June too! Thanks for the reminder about this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for highlighting my review of Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores! I will be linking a few more up for this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for linking to my Looking for Me review and for hosting. I love this feature!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've read quite a collection of good books so far this month, but I just finished my 'Book of the Month' for July: "Best Friends Forever: A Novel" by Jennifer Weiner - who is a new author for me. Thanks Carole. See you next month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, I have to say that while I certainly enjoyed "Best Friends Forever: A Novel" by Jennifer Weiner, I changed my 'Book of the Month' for July to "A Friend of the Family" by Lauren Grodstein - quite a stunning book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers