Sunday 12 May 2013

Simple Cooking Tip – Omelettes


Simple Cooking Tip - Omelettes on Carole's Chatter


I hesitated about calling this a simple cooking tip because it took me many years to achieve any sort of consistent acceptable results when doing omelettes.

But once you have cracked it omelettes are very quick to cook and make a delightful base for a lunch.

Crack 3 eggs into a bowl – whisk them with a hand whisk or fork with a tiny touch of salt and as much white pepper as you would enjoy.  I don't over whisk them and certainly wouldn't use a stick blender or egg beater.  The reason for only a little salt is that I believe that salt will toughen your omelette and you won't get the same soft texture.

Heat your pan – I put in a few drops of a neutral oil along with a knob of butter.  The oil will help stop the butter burning.

Once your butter is melted and just sizzling pour in the egg mixture.  Let it sit over moderate heat until the top starts to set just a bit.  Sprinkle some grated cheese on it plus more salt and pepper.  (You could add small dice of tomatoes, ham, cooked onion etc etc at this stage if you wanted)

Simple Cooking Tips on Carole's Chatter - Omelettes

Flip the omelette out onto a warmed plate.  Garnish with a little parsley and enjoy!  You can see from the pictures that sometimes I do roll the omelettes and sometimes just fold them.

I do recommend doing each omelette separately – you can always put finished ones into a warmish oven waiting for the other ones to finish.  Of course if you had a huge hob and multiple pans and a gift for multitasking you could do several at once!


Pin It

8 comments:

  1. There is definitely an art to omelet making! My husband is the expert in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not that good at the rolling thing, so I usually stick to the flip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly can't remember the last time I made an omelet. You've reminded me to give them at try for a light lunch again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omelets are one of my favorites, but my husband rarely eats eggs. I usually order one if we're out for breakfast or make one for myself occasionally as a special treat. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've started trying to remember to warm the plates before a meal. It makes such a difference! I'm going to make a frittata today -- not as tricky as an omelet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Safe to say my omelettes never turn out as perfect as yours looks. Just need more practice, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love omelettes; they make the perfect quick dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours folds up so nicely. Mine always cracks but them I am prone to add way too many ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers