Tuesday 7 May 2013

Spicy Plum Chutney


Spicy Plum Chutney by Carole of Carole's Chatter


In honour of the next Food on Friday I decided to do something with plums.  So here is my spicy plum chutney.

I does take a bit of time – you have to prepare your plums and onions and then boil gently for about an hour and a half at least– so don't start it too late at night!  But there is a glorious smell while it is cooking.

To make about 8 cups of chutney, the ingredients are:

2 kilos (4 ½ lb) of dark plums, stoned and chopped
500g (1 ¼ lb) onions, diced
5 cups brown sugar
4 cups malt vinegar
1 tablesp salt
1 teasp chili powder
1 teasp ground cloves

I also added (as an optional extra) ½ fresh red chilli finely diced, 1 teasp of ground white pepper.

Spicy plum chutney recipe by Carole's Chatter

Put all this into a stock pot or large saucepan.  Bring it to the boil – stirring until the sugar dissolves.  Then boil it gently for about 1 ½ to 2 hours until the chutney is nice and thick.

If you are into proper preserving, put it into sterilised jars.  I just use clean glass jars, seal the top with a wax paper disc and keep the jars in the fridge.

It was delicious right away but will only improve with age.

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. The chutney looks wonderful Carole!!! As for your request to link the recipe of the pumpkin juice to your blog... well, you can go ahead and do so. Thanks so much for this carole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loads of plums left from our harvest. Plum chutney sounds like a perfect home for some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole I could see this easily with a pork roast or even pork sandwich.I love your chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely can these days -- preferring to use my freezer instead. This chutney sounds great. Now I need to make a curry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would slather this on pork or chicken...mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, that looks nice. wouldn't it be delightful on pork...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Tina, I love chutney on pork. I need to make some more again, since the stash I usually keep in my freezer is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, perfect with pork!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband loves plums. This looks good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chile powder on plums and onions, with sweet and sour, sounds so good. Think I will cut down the quantity the first time, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely looking chutney, and I like the unique flavors.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers