Thursday 9 May 2013

Books You Loved: May edition




So April brought a lovely haul of Books You Loved.  Some that caught my eye particularly were:

Fiction:

Life after life by Kate Atkinson.  Ionia of Readful Things Blog said " From an accomplishment standpoint, I would put this book up there with some of the classics. The complex, elegantly written story is something that I am not sure many authors could take on and succeed at." 

And Niall from The Speculative Scotsman said " Kate Atkinson's latest is her very greatest by a way, reminiscent of nothing so much as her Whitbread Award-winning debut, Behind the Scenes at the Museum"
  
Flat-out love by Jessica Park.  Christine from Rainy Day Reads said " I loved this book. I loved every tiny little detail and there is absolutely nothing that I would even dream of wanting to change. The setting, the humor, the characters..."

A Loyal Companion by Barbara Metzger.  Voracious Reader said " Well-written with a smooth flowing plot and delectable characters this humorous historical romance will entertain even the most dour reader."

The Last Telegram by Liz Trenow.  Anna of Diary of An Eccentric said " When I finished this book yesterday, I wiped tears from my eyes, sighed, and thought about reading it again. It’s my favorite kind of historical fiction, with the history front and center, characters I care about and don’t want to leave behind, and writing that flows so beautifully that when you sit down to read a few pages, you’ve read a quarter of the book without realizing."

Things are Going to Slide by Rangely Wallace.  Donna of Room for Reading said " I plundered through the book as it is a real page turner and it was a satisfying read and left all the ends nicely tied up"

And for some non-fiction:

Lean in by Sheryl Sandberg.  Shannon from The Simply Luxurious Life said " Not once does she profess to being perfect or to have figured it all out, but she does demonstrate what she implores women to do – lean in and speak up."

Love With A Chance Of Drowning by Torre DeRoche.  The Modern Woman's Survival Guide said " A sometimes hilarious, often moving and always brave memoir that proves there are some risks worth taking"

But there were many other great links.  To see all that were pinned, click here and to see Books You Loved: April click here.

Now on to this month's collection!  Please just put your name or blog name and the name of the book into the first Mr Linky box and paste the url for your post about it into the second box.

I have made up a Pinboard for this new edition and will be pinning links to it as soon as I can.  If you click here  you will be taken to the Pinboard where you will be able to see the links at a glance.  I hope this will help you pick which of the other links you will go and visit.

Happy days!



Pin It

26 comments:

  1. I've linked you to the book that I just finished and reviewed on my blog - A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny, seventh in her Armand Gamache series. Love that series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I really want to read Louise Penny's mysteries. I started one quite a while ago but it's in a box somewhere since the move. What I had read, I really enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. Sungura and Leopard: A Swahili Trickster Tale reminds me of a Gilbert & Sullivan play called "Box and Cox". They rented the same room. One of them worked days, the other nights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my blog site averages a book a day, including some children's books. Some are audio, arc's and from the library.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. THanks for hosting! I love seeing what other people are reading. So many good books to check out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved so many books this month it was hard to pick just one! I've linked Nina D'Aleo's The Last City though as I think it is a stunning debut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've linked to my review of You Don't Know Me, a really great YA book by Sophia Bennett :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My standout favorite lately was easily Cat Valente's In the Night Garden, the first part of the Orphan's Tales duology.
    By now, I am halfway through the second book and I can't believe a writer can keep up so much beauty for this many pages. Everybody should read Catherynne M. Valente.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for inviting me over!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the invite to link! Regarding Orphan Train: "Ultimately left me with a feeling of hope, not only for these characters, but for all of us who seek meaning in our lives."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been reading some really good books so far this month, but will be coming back later in the month to link up my best book for May. Thanks so much, Carole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the invite Carole! I just posted a link.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I notice the book links are accumulating here faster than ever. With each passing month I move a bit farther away from the first post.

    Happy reading, all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great resource! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I only gave Devine Clementine 3 out of 5 stars as it was a bit hard to get into but it is a good one for young adult fiction and those dealing with the loss of a loved one or depression x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hosting Carole, I love to see what everyone else is reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Carole,
    Thanks for inviting me! It's not so easy to make me cry but like The Reading Girl, I was amazed by "The Fault in Our Stars." I was so overwhelmed by emotions that I haven't be able to post à review about this heartbreaking story.

    But in April, "Golden Boy" by Abigail Tartelin surprised me a lot. So it will be my pick for April!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for doing this Carole; I love to read about other people's books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! Thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me to join you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the invite to link, Carole! It's an honour! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Carole,
    As usual, thanks for this forum. I'll be putting two or three links in.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, 'later in the month' apparently meant the very next day, my time! :) LOL!!

    So, on Thursday night May 9th, my time, I finished reading a book by a new author to me - it has a light Christian theme running through it - not overbearingly so, in my opinion, but it was still strongly evident to me. I will definitely be looking for more books by Deborah Bedford in the future! :)

    Thanks so much, Carole - see you next month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Until I came here, I had almost cleared my to-read pile...sigh. Lovely blog, and thanks for the recommendations all!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this idea! Thanks so much for inviting me to link my review to it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers