Sunday 14 April 2013

Welsh Rarebit a la Jamie (sort of)


Welsh Rarebit a la Jamie from Carole's Chatter


I have called this little dish Welsh Rarebit a la Jamie.  All a bit pretentious for a cheese on toast lunch!  But I did do it a bit differently than normal as a result of seeing a Jamie Oliver re-run.

I heated the oven to hot – not pizza hot but moderately hot.  I buttered the bread and then put it spread side down onto some baking paper on a baking tray.

I smeared some hot chilli jam onto each slice.  This was the Jamie touch.

I mixed up some grated cheese (pizza mix was what was to hand), crème fraiche, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.

Welsh Rarebit a la Jamie before oven from Carole's Chatter

I spread this cheese mix on top.  Then a little finely sliced onion went on together with a sprinkle of paprika.  This is what it looked like just before going into the oven

Into the oven for about 15 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.  A little chopped parsley went on just before serving!


Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I love Welsh Rarebit--it was a common Saturday lunch when I was growing up. Our version was pretty different from Jamie's though--it had more of a sauce over it. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! We put beer in ours, but it comes out runny. I think I like yours better.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on my way over! This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious - I've never made Welsh Rarebit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm. That's looks delicious! I like cheese toast to be more like an open-faced grilled cheese, too, not slathered in cheese sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good and that bit of chili would bump it up to the next level. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh YUM!! That looks amazingly tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made Jamie's recipe before, but yours looks about a million times better than mine did! (Tasted good though). Love that browned cheese you have there! Thanks for linking, Carole!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers