Thursday 14 March 2013

Crispy skin chicken


Crispy skin chicken by Carole's Chatter


I was pleased with how this Crispy skin chicken turned out.  I did it a new way – well new to me and will probably do it this way from now on.

First I rubbed the chicken all over with freshly ground Sichuan pepper and white pepper together with turmeric,  salt and a little oil.  I let it sit warming up a bit while the oven came up to a moderate temperature.

I put it on a rack in the roasting dish and added a splash of wine and water in the bottom of the dish.  I tightly covered it with foil.  Then into the oven for 1 hour – not on high but just below moderate.  I was trying to keep the moisture in this way since the piece of chicken I was cooking was not on the bone but a double breast with skin on.

After the first hour I ramped the temperature in the oven up and took off the foil.  I even put the top element on in the oven for a while.  You need to keep a close eye on it at this stage or you might end up with cinders.

As you can see it went nice and crispy – it even puffed out a little bit and the meat was still moist.  Result!


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Carole,
    The chicken looks deliciously crispy. I see you are using turmeric for the color. I like to use it in meat dishes too, both for its color and its antibacterial properties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good!! can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Carole,
    Your chicken looks great, and I am looking forward to some new breakfast dishes! Thanks for the party,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers