Tuesday 12 March 2013

Pork and tamarillo bake

Pork and tamarillo bake by Carole's Chatter


I had some reservations as to whether I would show you my pork and tamarillo bake.  The pork and tamarillo parts were fine – but the mix of cabbage and potato underneath just didn't work for me.  Next time I would omit the cabbage and serve it as a side dish.  I would also add the pork to the bake only for the last 20-30 minutes rather than the over an hour I actually did.

I'm not too sure if everyone will be familiar with the tamarillo (or tree tomato as we called it when we were kids).  It looks like this.



I like tamarillos – mainly eaten raw and don't often cook them in a savoury dish – so this was a bit of an experiment.

Ok, I will tell you what I did – but please don't blame me if you do decide to put in the cabbage and don't like it.

I greased the baking dish with some garlic butter I had left over.  I then put a layer of shredded savoy cabbage into the dish followed by a layer of thinly sliced potato, seasoned it and then repeated the layers.

You then heat some soup up (I used leek and potato) with some diced onion in it and pour it over the potato cabbage layers.

I then browned the pork and put it on top with some sliced tamarillo and chilli jam and a bit of garlic butter on top.  This is what it looked like going into the oven.

Pork and tamarillo bake by Carole's Chatter


I baked it for 1 ½ hours uncovered in a moderate oven.

Next time I will just cook the potato mixture for half an hour first and then put the seared pork on top.  I didn't think the tamarillo added a lot and would be tempted to pop some mustard sauce on top next time.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you just have to experiment to see what works and what doesn't. The concept was novel and give you much credit for that!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers