Tuesday 5 February 2013

Curried sausages: Comfort food from the past




I have always loved curried sausages.  Although Indian curry powder is used – this is in no way an authentic ethnic dish.

You grill or fry up some good pork sausages (you could use beef – we much prefer pork).  When they are browned and lightly cooked take them out of the pan and cut each sausage into 3.

Fry onions in the fat left in the pan – add more oil if you don't have enough.  I added 2 chopped cloves of garlic as well.

When the onion has softened a bit, pop in the curry powder – I used a heaped dessert spoonful – but you need to work out how hot you like it.  I also put in a teaspoonful of turmeric – it doesn't add much flavour but is good for colour and is supposed to be good for you.  Then I popped in about a heaped tablespoonful of flour – in my case I only had self raising but plain flour would be fine.

Add some stock and stir so that the flour thickens it into a nice sauce.  I added a small box of raisins, and some cubed roast pumpkin I had left over, 2 bay leaves (which you need to fish out at the end) and 2 tablespoonfuls of chutney – mine was home made feijoa chutney.  This adds a little extra tang – if you don't have any chutney I would suggest a small splash of balsamic vinegar.

You could then just let it simmer away for 30 minutes on the hob.  I popped it into a not too hot oven.  When you are ready to serve, do taste it to see if you need to add salt and/or pepper.

Serve it with rice for a yummy comforting meal.


Pin It

4 comments:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers