Tuesday 8 January 2013

Salted steak 'n chips experiment




I was looking for something different to do with steak.  I found a post on salted steak (which I can't now locate) and gave it a go (with a few tweaks).

It was a bit weird but worked (except in one respect, which was entirely my fault).

You put your steak (sirloin in this case) into a plastic bag and also put in rock salt and some spices and dried herbs.  I used about 3 big spoonfuls of salt – which was a mistake – one would have been enough.  You make sure the steak is covered with the mixture.

After 1 hour in the fridge you rinse the steak (I have never done that before!) and then pat it as dry as you can.


Then rub it with pepper and oil and cook it.  I seared it quickly on each side and then put it into the oven for a few minutes – from the lack of give in the steak I thought it might be well done but actually it was quite rare in the middle.  The salting seems to alter the structure of the steak.

The rinsing didn't get rid of the salt and the steak was too salty for me although not inedible. 


I served it topped with home-made garlic butter and a spring onion for garnish.

I would try this again but with less salt.


Luckily the chips were just great.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers