Tuesday 18 December 2012

Chopped spinach – not a puree!




Well this chopped spinach was supposed to be a spinach puree.  But my stick blender not only wasn't up to the task, it broke while I was trying to puree it.  Sigh…

I had a nice bag of spinach – mostly youngish leaves.  I de-stalked them – and then also mostly de-veined them – a bit train-spotterish and I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't trying to make a smooth puree.

Wash your spinach thoroughly.  And then just cook it lightly for 3-5 minutes in a pot with no added water other than that which is clinging to the leaves after washing and draining.

Puree (or chop!) your cooked spinach and season with salt and pepper, freshly grated nutmeg and a spoonful of butter melted into it.  Yum – and good for you too!


Pin It

12 comments:

  1. chopped spinach is wonderful - but with Greek predominant in my background - garlic, olive oil and feta cheese goes in my chopped spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luv spinach...but have to take blood thinners...so I can't eat it any more...wah, wah, wah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Carole! I found you through the hop and am following now! Hope you have a great week!

    Heather
    http://notesfromthenelsens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, too bad about your stick blender... but the chopped spinach still looks delicious. Think I'll add a little nutmeg to mine next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spinach, but I usually have to sneak it into soups to get the rest of the family to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Spinach--it's one of the few good-for-me-vegetables I do like, so I eat it a lot, but eating spinach salads does get tiring after a while. This might be the next spinach side I try--as much as I love it, I'm feeling the need for a break from the raw spinach for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love spinach--it's one of the few good-for-me-vegetables I do like, but I get tired of the raw spinach salads after awhile, so this might have to be the next spinach side I try! When I pretty much hate all the other green leaves like lettuce and such, have to find a way to vary the spinach somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would prefer my spinach chopped...and I always add nutmeg!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Spinach is such hard work for the small amount you end up with but I do love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bummer on your stick blender, but I love fresh spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My family loves spinach sauteed with a little olive oil, garlic and kosher salt.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers