Sunday 18 November 2012

Sunday Roast – Lamb leg with red wine gravy




Lamb leg with red wine gravy, roast potatoes and peas
As a throwback to my childhood we did a Sunday Roast.  A lamb leg (or rather the fillet end of one).  We ate lamb a lot when I was young – I suspect it was closer to mutton than lamb actually.  And we had it for Sunday lunch – which seems amazing to me now – since lunches are much lighter affairs these days.

One huge advantage of the Sunday Roast is that it doesn't take a lot of work to get a good result.

I pre-heated my trusty oven to 190C (~370F) and then turned it down to 150 (~300) when I put the meat in.

I took the meat out of the fridge and left it on the bench to warm to room temperature for about 30 minutes.  I rubbed it with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Then into the pan with a glass of red wine poured into the bottom of the pan. That helps to keep the meat moist.  I cooked it for about an hour and a bit – I use a meat thermometer to check when meat is done enough.


For the gravy, while the lamb was resting I put the roasting pan onto the hob and deglazed the pan with a little more red wine, then added ½ a packet of gravy mix (as an easy way to thicken it) and right at the end took it off the heat and stirred in a spoonful of crème fraiche.


I did crispy roasted potatoes with it.  I really like them done this way.  First I parboil them for 5 to 10 minutes (starting with cold water) depending how big you make the pieces.  Drain them and shake them about in the pot so the edges get knocked about a bit.  Then mix with oil, cayenne pepper, turmeric and some pepper steak spice mix.  But you can use lots of different spices or just salt and pepper.

Then into a hot oven until golden and crispy on the outside and light and fluffy inside – yum.  I find Agria potatoes turn out the best but you will all have your own favourite roasting potato.


Pin It

13 comments:

  1. That looks so freaking delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have lamb in the freezer so I like finding new recipes. This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a lamb eater, but those potatoes sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderfully comforting, Carole. I like lamb, but eat it rarely and when I do, it's usually out at a restaurant. I should try making it home sometime. I think I've only done that once or twice.

    Your crispy potatoes would be a huge hit at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! This sounds so good right now!!

    Thank you for linking up at this week’s Harvest of Friends Weekend Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look very well presented Carole. I don't think you can beat beef. I am a farmer who keeps moo cows. So I would say that wouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't eat lamb but the potatoes look great! That's how my husband makes them too, except he adds lots of rosemary. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love roast lamb and potatoes...with a nice gravy...it doesn't get better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't made lamb in forever, your recipe sounds terrific. I love the potatoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an easy and tasty lamb dish! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never in my life cooked lamb! I need to try it sometime soon. Recipe sounds good! Stopping by from the Harvest of Friends bloghop.
    Michelle
    Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing! I am so excited to try it! In fact so excited I featured it as my fave post of the week on my blog's Friday's Fave! Be sure to check it out! www.adventureintodomesticland.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers