Monday 22 October 2012

Cajun spiced Salmon fillets




These Cajun spiced salmon fillets were easy to do and, if I do say so myself, turned out just perfectly.

I often find salmon quite strong so we just bought one salmon fillet and then I halved it with a sharp knife.  I sprinkled the bottom of a oven dish with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and a Cajun spice mix together with some olive oil. 

After pinboning the salmon – that is, taking out the long bones you can feel by running your fingers over the fillet – I use a pair of tweezers I keep in the kitchen and only use for this.  Then I put it skin side down on the spices in the dish, I then sprinkled more of the same on top.  I let it sit for about 20 minutes while preparing other elements of the meal.  It is good for letting the flavours meld and also it helps not to have the salmon too fridge cold when you start to cook it.

I heated up a pan and popped the fillets in – skin side down.  I left them to sizzle on a high heat for about 3 minutes – enough to make the skin crispy.  Then you take the fillets out of the pan, pop them back in the oven dish and into a moderate oven for 12-15 minutes.  Please note that I did not sear the flesh side.

The result was perfectly cooked soft salmon flesh with tasty crispy flavoursome skin – hard to say which was enjoyed the most.  This one definitely got the seal of approval from the better half – who is, at the most, lukewarm generally about salmon.


Pin It

20 comments:

  1. My husband would love this. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love seeing new faces. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet this is wonderful. Salmon is my favorite type of fish to eat. I usually grill it with smokehouse maple seasoning, onions and olive oil. I will have to give your spice recipe a try. I love spicy seasonings. Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need the vitamin D that is in salmon, not a fan of it, but I must say this looks so dang delicious. Great job Carole! You may have convinced me to give it one more shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, love fish. Haven't tried cajun seasoning before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Sounds delicious :) Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party and for the follow! I'm now your newest GFC follower :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious!!! I am a huge fan of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your newest follower ;) I have a link up called Kids in the Kitchen - encouraging families to cook and eat together - no kids required for recipe link up - we'd love to have you join us. www.AdventurezinChildRearing.com looks really yummy! pinning

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds easy enough, and I love Cajun spices. Came from New Orleans. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That salmon looks unbelievably good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent idea to crisp the skin in the pan and finish in the oven. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. straight-forward and great-tasting: my kind of recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sound yummy. We eat salmon at least once a week -- we love it. We usually grill it, so the skin gets crispy and the flesh gets grill marks. I'll remember this technique for those times when the weather won't let us grill outside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm so glad you find salmon quite strong as well! i know a lot of people say its a very mild fish - too often i get a fishy punch in the face from salmon. brilliant!
    thank you for sharing with us at the Wednesday Fresh Foods Blog Hop! i hope to see you again this week with more seasonal & real/fresh foods posts. xo, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds wonderful - salmon is one of my favorite foods! And we used to live in New Orleans, so anything Cajun-spiced is a winner in our family :)

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  15. Salmon is my favorite fish! This recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends. I'm looking forward to seeing what you share this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! Love Cajun seasoning. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love salmon but i have never done it with cajun spice. I have to try this next time. Thanks for the recipe. Following u from the blog hop, pls kindly follow back if you don't mind. Thx so much. Keep in touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE salmon with Cajun seasoning! So delicious.

    Thanks so much for linking up to "Simple Meals Friday". Hope to see you again next week!

    http://littleowlcrunchymomma.blogspot.com/2012/11/simple-meals-friday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love cajun food! Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing with Simple Meals Friday! I hope you will join us again this weekend.

    http://mexicanwildflower.blogspot.com/2012/11/simple-meals-friday-8.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers