Saturday 15 September 2012

Lemon Tart - Delicious but Sinful




You will have noticed that I don't do many sweet dishes – but here's an exception.  We had 4 Meyer lemons on our little tree in a pot and I wanted to do something special with them.  That was the whole crop this year, so it was a pretty pathetic effort.

Having been successful with a lemon curd  I thought I would give a lemon tart a go.

I followed a recipe I had in my collection of recipes.  Sorry I can't tell you where it came from but it did work.  The recipe called for making the pastry – but that was a step too far for me.  So I used frozen store bought sweet short crust pastry.

As you can see from the picture the quantity of filling wasn't enough for the size of pie dish that I had (I only have one!) and as a result the pastry above the filling over-cooked.  I tried to cut it off to make a nice photo but crumbs shot everywhere … sigh.

If/when I do it again I would trim the pastry down to the level of the filling (or even better make more filling).

So I greased the dish, put the pastry sheet in and trimmed round the top.  I pricked the bottom a few times with a fork and then put in baking beans on top of baking paper.  I baked it blind (that is with the beans in) for 15 minutes at 190 degrees C ( approx. 375 F), took the beans and kitchen paper out and gave it another 3 minutes.
While it was baking blind I prepared the filling – which was surprisingly easy to do.  The ingredients were:

3 eggs
¼ cup lemon juice (I sieved mine)
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
½ cup caster sugar
¾ cup cream (double cream)
More lemon zest to garnish (this garnish didn't work that well for me – it was a bit wet and clumpy)

You just beat the eggs, lemon juice, zest and sugar until it is combined (I just used a stick blender).  Very lightly beat in the cream – by hand is best I think.  And you are done – just pour it into the pastry shell and bake it for 5 minutes at the original temperature and then reduced the temperature to 150 degrees C (300F) and cooked it for another 20 minutes at which stage the tart was lightly set.  It firms up further as it cools.



It was delicious but sinful.



26 comments:

  1. Okay, so we are in the same league maybe as far as baking. If I was a real lemon fan I would make one. My attempt today at baking - well!!! My goodies are in the oven as I write this. I bet yours tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy... If you don't want your crust to burn, just cover it with tinfoil once brown and it won't burn while the filling is still cooking. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and would like a link back to us please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look sinfully delicious. I love lemon tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice looking tart, my Mum used to make one but put Meringue on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My recipe that is similar to this is a little custardy lemon cookie. Almost exactly the same. Your tart looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks pretty and delicious once it was sliced and served.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds delicious and looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemon tarts! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks scrumptious!
    Would love you to share it at our linky if you have time :)
    http://meltingmoments.info/?p=2689

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemon is one of my favorite flavors and this looks really, really good and easy. I don't mind crumbs flying around. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my I love lemon desserts! I could not find shortcrust pastry in my store:(
    Carole I found a website that teaches you how to do cryptic puzzles that seems pretty easy to follow so my fingers are crossed! I am determined to learn to do them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness - looks DELICIOUS. I love lemon tart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum yum yum!!! I absolutely adore lemon and this sounds delicious. With delicate pie crusts I find that lining the crust with some foil helps with the overcooking. They actually make tins for this as well if you have a kitchen store nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in the bakery today and saw them pouring the filling in the lemon tarts and I almost picked one up. Now that I read your post, I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is just beautiful and lemon tart is great for any time of year. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. See, here in the states we'd wreck that by putting a heap of meringue on top. Your way looks PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummm! This tart looks amazing! Here in Canada, we also tend to serve lemon pies topped with a fluffy meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carole,
    This looks amazing! I love anything lemony for dessert. I can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful weekend
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! It may be sinful, but that's a risk I'm willing to take! LOL I love meyer lemons and was tickled when we were finally able to get them around here. The little "mishap" with the crust certainly didn't take anything away from the dish. I actually think it looks quite lovely with the crumbs! Thanks again for hosting the party today, Carole! ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW YUMMY!! Thanks so much for linking up at Heavenly Treats Sunday Link Party! This wonderful dessert is being featured on Friday please come visit and get your featured button!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is that a 10 inch tart pan?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love lemon, and your tart looks delicious. I never seem to have the correct size pan when I need one either :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always brake for lemon. Is double cream the same thing as heavy whipping cream?

    Madonna/aka/Ms. Lemon
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've made something like this before using cream cheese and lemon for the filling. The tarts look great, with smooth filling but the next day, the filling cracked....made them in Perth during winter. Perhaps I should have cover them with cling wrap. Must try again in this weather, Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This souns delicious :x I love sweet treats with lemon!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers