Tuesday 19 June 2012

A retro night - Steak Diane




I am not sure how authentic my Steak Diane was but it turned out nicely – particularly the sauce.

I made a mushroom sauce using:

1 punnet of ordinary white button mushrooms, sliced up

1 clove of garlic, chopped finely

A teaspoon or so of butter and a drop of vegetable oil (stops the butter burning)

A half teaspoon of porcini powder (this makes the flavour of button mushrooms deeper – you could just use brown mushrooms to start with, of course)

When the mushrooms have cooked for about 5 minutes, add a generous splosh of brandy (I don't risk lighting it, but in the classic dish you would have)

Finally I thickened it a little with cornstarch (cornflour)

When the steak was resting, I deglazed the pan with a small spoonful of plum vinegar (you could use wine vinegar or white wine) and then added that to the sauce as well.

Right at the end, when the steak was ready I added a dollop of crème fraiche (could have been cream)

I am not an expert on cooking steak. This one was expensive wagyu sirloin (produced locally). I simply fried it quickly in a hot pan, turning only once and then put it into the oven where the vegetables were roasting for about 10 minutes (longer if you don't like it pink in the middle).

Later I checked out an old fashioned recipe for Steak Diane – which used to be the height of sophistication in the 70's. In addition to my ingredients, you would have to add finely chopped shallots, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard and parsley. Will have to try that next time!

For another recipe, click here

12 comments:

  1. Let me tell you.....this looks SO good!! LD would LOVE this! Hope mine turns out as good as yours.

    PS.....all is well with the quads! I just posted. Time gets way from me - especially when I am working in the yard!

    Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carole! How are you doing?

    I'm here for the first time on your blog and loved this space.

    The dish looks tempting. I like the mushroom sauce. I am crazy about mushrooms! They are yum!

    Now joining your wonderful blog.
    Do visit mine in your spare time-
    ManjuzKitchen.blogspot.in
    AndMyLifeGoesOn.blogspot.in

    Have a nice day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steak Diane is such a classic! I feel it's time for a revival - I like your blog and am following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good! I love mushrooms and steak. The sauce looks fantastic. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am your newest follower via GFC. I'd love for you to follow back and link this up to my Monday party. http://www.jamscorner.com/search/label/Monday%20Party

    Have a great weekend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe for Steak Diane! It really is a classic. I had to see which retro steak dish you featured at Foodie Friday after you mentioned it when you were at my site. Thank you for stopping and mentioning your recipe. I'm now following you through GFC, so I won't miss a post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I haven't had Steak Diane in years. We used to serve it tableside in the restaurant. You've made me crave it!! Delicious =)

    p.s...glad you let me know what you linked up. Since you don't link your blog when you comment, I never knew where to go. (It's simple to leave the link when commenting, I hope you'll do it next time so that I can remember where to comment back!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a much simpler Steak Diane recipe than I have seen.. thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Authentic or not, I think this looks very tasty! Thanks for linking. Great retro recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this featured over at Ms. enPlace and had to stop by and tell you - this had me drooling. That mushroom sauce looks sooooo good! I can't wait to give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carole, thank you so much for sharing this at our Wicked Good Wednesdays Link Party! LOVE mushroom sauce on a steak, but cooking the steak is definitely something I leave to the hubby. I just haven't mastered the steak thing yet. Hope to see what you've been up to again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carole, You are amazing. Thank you for all you do with "Food on Friday." I have been so inspired with the recipes and the contributors.

    Thank you for all you do to help us. I can't wait to try this steak.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers