Wednesday 6 June 2012

Improving my meatloaf


Now I have experimented a whole lot of times on my very patient better half with meatloaf.  And have never achieved consistently good results.  After doing some research I found out some of the things I was doing wrong.

  • I wasn't adding enough breadcrumbs
  • I was cooking it in the loaf tin rather than moulding it there and then upending it into a larger tin for baking
  • I didn't know to cover the meatloaf with sauce and to baste it now and again.
  • And I was overmixing – I find that, just like with muffins, you need to be very careful not to overmix. 
So here is my improved version of meatloaf – it was based on a recipe by Alton Brown called Good Eats Meatloaf 

Here is one before it was cooked – and here it is after cooking.  It was pretty good but I am sure it could still be better.




One thing that was good was that I made up enough for 2 lots and just froze one in the uncooked state – which made for a great quick dinner a week or so later (and didn't take very much longer to cook than if you had done it from fresh).


For another recipe, click here

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful tips for meatloaf! I'll have to post a recipe that I use. We really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David (my disabled house mate) does a much better meat loaf than i - i have his recipie, but he does a better job at it. He does cook it in the loaf with excellent results! he also adds everything but the kitchen sink (it seems). I do something much different since i can not even do his recipie well and i call them "Haystacks". I'll post the recipie some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iv been wanting to make meatloaf for ages, I have a recipe stuck to my fridget but Im worried it will be too dry, or too flavorless. Thanks for tips, maybe I might be brave enough to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm the picture of the finished meatloaf looks amazing!
    Thanks for linking up to This Flourishing Life's Menu Monday last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had been craving meatloaf for the longest time and finally made some on Sunday! Mine was an Italian version with lots of cheese in it. Your meatloaf looks really yummy! I love Alton!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers