Thursday 3 May 2012

Scrumptious Corned beef




In my book, corned beef is much underrated.  It is great for dinner – and even better next day in corned beef hash cakes – about which, more another time.

We often call corned beef “silverside”.

The way I do the corned beef is pretty straightforward.  I rinse it off and then pop it into a large pot and cover it with water.  I add a pinch of whole pepper corns (white or black), a couple of teaspoons of mustard powder (but any sort of mustard would be fine), a dash of vinegar and about 2 dessert spoonfuls of golden syrup (any sort of sugary thing like treacle, honey or maple syrup would work).  Lastly a few bay leaves.  No salt because there is enough in the meat as a result of the corning process.

I simmer that lot for at least a couple of hours (you could go up to 4 but then the results will be very fall apart but still taste nice).  Then I add slices of carrot and small onions and cook until they are tender.

You could add the potatoes and/or sweet potatoes as well but I prefer doing them separately.  You probably all know how to do mash.  I boil the potatoes with some peeled cloves of garlic.  I then add some mustard to the mash, along with oodles of salt and pepper and a large knob of butter.  I don’t add warmed cream or milk but if you do, you will get a creamier smoother mash than mine.  I prefer it not as smooth because the leftovers go better in the hash cakes the next day.

In parallel with all this I shred some cabbage and julienne a thumb of fresh ginger.  Don’t substitute ground ginger – it won’t work.  If you haven’t got fresh ginger you could try caraway seeds, parsley or pine nuts as well as the salt and pepper.  But I like the fragrance the fresh ginger gives to the cabbage.  I put it on with only a tablespoon or so of water, with the lid on for no more than 3-4 minutes.  To be edible it is really important not to overcook it.  Done very lightly it is light years away from the horrible cabbage many of us remember from our childhood.

To make the mustard sauce, I simply combine a little crème fraiche or sour cream with some prepared mustard – I like Dijon but whatever you fancy and add salt and white pepper.  If I have a lemon handy I will add a little zest and a small amount of lemon juice to give it some tang.

Serve it on one big platter or on several.  I make heaps because I then use the leftovers to make hash cakes both for the next day and to put in the freezer for a quick and tasty meal when I don’t have time or the inclination to start from scratch.

For another recipe, click here

14 comments:

  1. I really love corned beef! specially if paired with a mustard sauce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, love corned beef and the leftovers are delicious for sandwiches! I agree that it's underrated, I make it pretty frequently since my husband and two boys absolutely adore it :) Great looking pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! We love corned beef. I usually buy a couple when they are on sale during St Patrick's day and freeze one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son loves corned beef and I have one in the freezer; I'm going to give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knobs of butter..how could that be bad?
    I love leftover corned beef even more than I like it the first night. Love me the corned beef hash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love corned beef -- fresh cook, sliced the next day, in hash for breakfast ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love corned beef. I usually make mine in the crockpot. I'll use your mustard sauce the next time I make corned beef.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love corned beef also. I do it in the oven by itself. little bit of water and very tight lid about 2 1/2 hrs. can put a glaze of apricot preserves on the last half hour with lid off. And I really like horseradish sauce with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this too and there's some great suggestions in the comments. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely agree, I love corned beef! My favourite way of having it is Asian inspired - onions, chilli and fry it all up, eaten with rice or as a sandwich filler!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember my grandmom making corned beef and cabbage a lot when I was a kid. I love corned beef on Reuben sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cornbeef brisket, I make mine in a crock pot. Yours looks delicous!
    Oh and by the way, Im a new follower. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I love corned beef. Ironically I have never cooked it myself. Soon, I will definitely be doing that.

    Thanks again for sharing your delicious food with us.

    Jeff
    www.hometownslop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had corned beef recently. I love it - and the leftovers are great for Reubens! Your version looks so tasty, Carole! Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends. I can't wait to see what you share this week.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers