Thursday 1 March 2012

Flanders & Swann




When I was in my early twenties I was introduced to Flanders & Swann by a friend of mine and got hooked.  They are a British comedy duo from the 50’s and 60’s.  They had 2 long running shows in London – At the Drop of a Hat and At the Drop of Another Hat.  Both were recorded live.  They gave nearly 2000 live performances.

My favourites are, in order:

 The Gnu
 The Hippopotamus – Mud Glorious Mud!
 The Reluctant Cannibal
 Have Some Madeira, M’Dear
 A Song of Reproduction
 A Transport of Delight
 Design for Living
 A Song of the Weather
 Misalliance
 Je Suis Le Tenebreux



8 comments:

  1. Yes, I love them, too – as you know because you found my blog post on this sensational comedy double-act! How wonderful that they live on in our affections!

    You have nice pithy blog by the way! I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment - we all need to keep remembering those that are truly great

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Flanders & Swann too. Even more these days as their songs were written before all today's emphasis on what might or might not be 'correct'. They are a delightful sign of their times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about the "correctness" thing - I just think they were clever and fun.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Carole, for reminding me of F&S. B&W tv at its best. Many a smile!

    Must look back at your crossword posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments. I am starting a daily cryptic clue series on the 8th with the solution (and explanation) the next day. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My paretns were huge fans of Flanders & Swann, loving their crisp intelligence and witty banter. They took me to see Flanders with Topping in the West End when I was about 10. I loved it, although I didn't get half of the jokes; they were so debonair and gracefully erudite. Like The Two Ronnies and A Bit of Fry and Laurie after them, they exemplified how comedy can work on multi-levels and never patronised their audience.

    I'm glad I found your blog - my, but you are busy! I shall follow your 'chatter' with interest!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could remind you about them. Thanks very much for your comment

      Delete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers