Monday 19 March 2012

Singapore stopovers - great place to relax on your way across the world.

We made the decision to have a 2 night stopover in Singapore on the way to Paris.  I hadn’t been there for years and wasn’t sure it was the best place.  But we enjoyed the hotel we were in – the Swissotel.  It is in a very tall building so the views from our room were simply spectacular particularly at night.  The unusual shaped building in one of the pics is the new Marina Sands Hotel – built in accordance with Feng Shui principles.  It has an enormous roof top garden and pool right across the top of the three buildings.


View of Marina Sands from our room in the Swissotel



Night in Singapore from our hotel room


While we did have a Singapore Sling at Raffles it was a big rip off – the costs was huge and you weren’t even allowed to walk into the hotel lobby unless you were a house guest.  They are so far up themselves that I wouldn’t stay there if you paid me to.

On the first day we set out by train and bus to the Kranji Commonwealth War Memorial.  It wasn’t that far from the city but felt very quiet in contrast.  We wanted to find my better half’s distant cousin's name on the memorial (first cousin once removed? - whatever that means).  There was absolutely no one else there other than a few gardeners when we were there.  The memorial is immaculately kept.  It is for 24000 soldiers and airmen from Commonwealth countries who lost their lives in Malaysia and surrounding areas but who were unable to have individual graves.  I didn’t think when we set out that I would enjoy it that much.  But it turned out to be quite a highlight of our Singapore stopover.

Kranji Commonwealth War Memorial, Singapore







3 comments:

  1. Hi Carole, thanks for visiting my blog with such a beautiful comment - http://luvmyland.blogspot.com/2012/03/resorts-world-sentosa-singapore.html.

    I'm planing to go Singapore year end (last visit probably 20 years ago). Booked the package during the Matta Fair (Malaysia Travel Fair). Hope to enjoy the view like the above :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a star for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, I accidentally deleted your comment last night and couldn't get it back. But it also came by email - thanks to Blogger. And so I've copied it in here:

    "Glad you found the Kranji Commonwealth War Memorial enjoyable.. To be honest I haven't even heard of it but it sounds like a very monumental place to visit. :) "

    Thanks for taking the time to comment, Wendy - and sorry I deleted it by pushing the wrong bit on my new iPad.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers